Premier Division

Skegness United  5    Skegness Town  0

Saturday, 29 October 2011

Home report
The match kicked - off on a breezy sunny late October afternoon at Wainfleet Road in which this was the third meeting between the two local sides this season. The current score was one victory each.

United were to donate all proceeds from the sale of programmes, food and the raffle to the Derbyshire Childrens Holiday Home based in Skegness.

Both sides started the match hoping to make the first impressions, however it was United who had the first chance after 3 minutes when Paul Watts headed over Lambley's bar. Soon afterwards Lee Orrey shot wide of the post for Town. United opened the scoring after 9 minutes when Kurt Crossley found the back of the net from 10 yards after Town had failed to clear their lines. Town where looking to get back on level terms, and came close when Martyn Margarson failed to gather a Orrey free kick from the edge of the area, however he saved at the second attempt before the ball crossed the line.

United nearly went two up on 20 minutes when Crossley beat 4 men in run into the Town area, but a last ditch tackle saved the day. Shortly afterwards  Arron Scutt broke free of the town defence, but placed his shot over Lambley's bar. The back two of Joby Gowshall and Jordan Walden were keeping a tight hold of the Town forwards which prevented them from having any clear cut chances on the United goal. The second United goal arrived after 35 minutes when Andy Reeson won the ball in midfield and played the ball out right to Crossley. He beat two Town defenders before putting in a cross for Paul Watts to head pass Lambley. Within 3 minutes number three was on the scoreboard when Arron Scutt scored from close range after another cross from the right. The final minutes of the half  was played out in midfield with either side looking like scoring.

The second half stated with United on the attack and Scutt had a shot saved by Lambley. Then United scored number four shortly afterwards when Lamley failed to get a clean punch on the ball, and it fell to Kurt Crossley on the edge of the area who scored with an overhead kick. On 60 minutes Andy Hallam replaced Arron Scutt. With United holding a high line Town with the wind at their back found a number of possible attacks breaking down with ball going though to Margarson in the United goal. However, Town had a chance to score when Margarson had to come quickly of his line to save at the feet of Orrey. Shortly afterwards Margarson tipped a shot over his bar after a Town corner. On 70 minutes John Courtney replaced Joby Gowshall, and then Watts shot over from a good position. United were now taking the game to Town and both Watts and Reeson shot wide of the target. The fifth goal arrived on 85 minutes when Reeson broke free on the right and his shot was saved by Lambley, however the ball fell for Paul Watts to knock home. Then Kyle McGuigan replaced Andy Reeson, and the final action of the afternoon when Lambley saved a close range shot from McGuigan.

The match ended with United within one point of Cleethorpes at the top of table after they had drawn with Boston United Res. 

Away Report 

SKEGNESS Town were second best as United avenged their Challenge Cup exit with a comprehensive win at the windswept council-owned Wainfleet Road Playing Fields.
Three players who turned out for the Lilywhites last season scored the goals as United closed the gap on league leaders Cleethorpes Town.
The game was spoilt by a strong wind, but a fair sized crowd turned up to witness the third meeting between these two sides this season.
Town’s boss Barry Kilmore introduced three new signings, James Lambley in goal; Sam Towell at full back and Dane Harper in midfield.
Had they held the home advantage to just the one deflected goal, scored after five minutes by Kurt Crossley, they may have had a chance, but further strikes from Paul Watts and Arron Scutt late in the half gave the Lilywhites a mountain to climb.
Adam Broome squandered a golden opportunity to reduce the deficit four minutes after the break.  Had he found the back of the net when clean through at a swiftly taken free kick things may have been different, but United added salt to the wound a minute later when Crossley’s speculative overhead kick held up in the wind and dropped under Lambley’s cross bar with the keeper stranded.
Watts wrapped up the scoring in the 84th minute when he tapped home after Lambley had blocked an Andy Reeson shot.
Skegness Town: Lambley, Towell, Booth, Harper, Thompson, Howland, Cobb, Broome, Orrey, Nicholls, Papworth, T Dickinson.
On Saturday Skegness Town are in County Cup action when they travel to Harrowby Athletic in the third round of the Lincolnshire FA Junior Cup.