Premier Division

Cleethorpes Town  0    Boston United Reserves  0

Saturday, 29 October 2011


Cleethorpes Town battled to claim a point in an entertaining stalemate at home to Boston United Reserves on Saturday afternoon.
Jonathan Oglesby came closest to breaking the deadlock for the Owls in the first half but his header dropped wide, while Brody Robertson shot straight at the Pilgrims goalkeeper from six yards out with 20 minutes to play.
After Phil Cawley was sent off for the home side, Boston had a golden chance to end Cleethorpes’ unbeaten run – but Tony Edwards couldn’t cleanly connect to a loose ball with an open goal at his mercy.
Cleethorpes assistant boss Martyn Jacklin continued to stand in for manager Andy Liddell and made four changes to the team which thrashed Market Rasen Town 6-1 in midweek.
Scott Drury returned between the posts for the first time since October 4th while Luke Neul, Lewis Wilson and Brody Robertson were also given the nod.
Indeed both sides were wary of the other’s quality as few chances were created in the first ten minutes.
The first clear cut chance fell to the home side – but Brodie Robertson’s header was well saved by the Boston United goalkeeper.
After half an hour, the Pilgrims were presented with their best opportunity of the half. Tony Edwards though found Scott Drury in fine form.
Edwards again forced Drury into action a few minutes later with the goalkeeper tipping over an acrobatic effort from the Pilgrims frontman.
After 37 minutes, Cleethorpes almost took the lead. Robertson lost his marker and floated a in a cross which was met by the incoming Oglesby at the penalty spot, though he failed to find the bottom corner.
The Owls seemed to come out fired up for the second forty-five, but it was Boston who should have taken an early second half lead.
Stuart Whitaker played a neat one-two in the Cleethorpes penalty box but his weak side-footed effort was easily saved.
Luke Neul then went close for the home side, drilling the ball inches wide from the edge of the penalty area after good work from Reece Newell.
Robertson then spurned two chances for the Owls. First, his weak header from a Cawley cross was easily stopped but just a minute later he was allowed time to bring down a Neul cross – but aimed his effort into the chest of the Pilgrims ‘keeper.
Cawley, who had been given a final warning by the referee moments earlier, was sent off on 68 minutes after jumping unfairly with a Boston defender. It was his second dismissal of the season – both against the Pilgrims.
Cleethorpes dealt well with the numerical disadvantage but were left feeling lady luck was on their side after 77 minutes. An in swinging free-kick caused havoc in the Clee penalty area, but Edwards somehow failed to direct the loose ball into the back of an empty net and Drury gratefully claimed the ball.
In fact it was the Owls who almost stole all three points. Renzie Lobendhan, on as a substitute, aimed an effort at the top corner from 30 yards out but it was fantastically tipped away for a corner.
The draw means Cleethorpes Town remain top of the league, a point clear of Skegness United. Struggling Sleaford Town Reserves visit the Stamford Club next Saturday.