Premier Division

Cleethorpes Town      Grimsby Borough Reserves  

Tuesday, 04 October 2011

Cleethorpes Town made it eight wins out of eight this season after coming from behind to beat local rivals Grimsby Borough Reserves 2-1 at Bradley Community Stadium.
Borough took the lead after half an hour when Luke Beecham ran onto a direct pass and lifted the ball over Scott Drury in the Cleethorpes goal.
The league leaders equalised in the second half when debutant Paul Goodhand scored from the penalty spot, before Luke Mascall grabbed the winner just after the hour mark.
Owls manager Andy Liddle made four changes to the side that beat Ruston Sports 6-0 in their last league fixture.
New signing Paul Goodhand was handed an Owls debut from the left side of midfield. Meanwhile Richard Peck returned to the heart of Cleethorpes’ defence with Phil Cawley and Gary Cross also restored to the starting line-up.
After a frantic but balanced start to the game, the first real chance fell to Grimsby Borough. Beecham rounded Scott Drury but failed to find the back of the net after a heroic block from Luke Neul.
Despite having the lion’s share of possession, the Owls were struggling to create any clear-cut chances in the first 20 minutes. Darren Hanslip came closest with an ambitious dipping effort which failed to work the opposition goalkeeper.
The Owls’ Luke Mascall, starting up front alongside Cawley, made himself a nuisance throughout the game and his persistence almost paid off after 22 minutes when he raced away from the Borough defence but was thwarted by the goalkeeper.
On the right hand side, Gary Cross too was staking his claim for a regular first team place, often jinking in from his wing but more than often pulling or hooking his eventual efforts on goal.
Despite being the underdogs, Borough were proving to be a threat on the counter attack. A last ditch tackle from Matthew Coleman was a sign for what was to come.
After half an hour, Borough played the ball over the top and Beecham beat Drury to the ball, lobbing it high before it looped into the back of the net, despite the best efforts of Peck on the line.
Half time arrived with Borough reserves ahead in front of the 282-strong attendance, despite spending much of the first period on the back foot. Only some below-par finishing from the Owls had let them down.
Cleethorpes had 45 minutes to prolong their 30-match unbeaten run and began the second half on top.
The early pressure paid off when the impressive Goodhand was brought down in the Borough penalty area. The debutant himself stepped up and confidently scored to the goalkeeper’s right.
Liddell’s side were now well on top, and found themselves ahead when a Cawley flick-on was met by Mascall who slid in at the far post to make it 2-1 and grab his third goal of the season.
Borough pressed late on but had few efforts at Scott Drury’s goal in the remainder of the match and Cleethorpes held on for an eighth straight league win