Premier Division

Skegness United  4    Heckington United  2

Saturday, 24 September 2011

Skegness United played their first league home game of the season and completed a double victory over Heckington Utd having previously won their Challenge Cup encounter in August.
Skegness United were missing both central defenders in Joby Gowshall and Jordan Walden and leading scorer Paul Watts up front.
The match kicked off  on a fine sunny September afternoon and it was Skegness United who had the first strike on goal after 6 minutes when Sean Chamberlain long range shot was saved by keeper Terry. Then Kurt Crossley shot over, and at this stage Skegness United were controlling the game.  The first effort for Heckington was after 15 minutes when Joe Harris blocked a shot in the 6 yard area. Then keeper Martyn Margarson had to save a shot at his near right hand post.
Kurt Crossley broke through the Heckington defence and heading for goal with only keeper Terry to beat was brought down, however the visiting defender received only a yellow card and the resulting free kick came to nothing. On 22 minutes Heckington took a surprise lead when from a corner Glen  Robinson rose at the far post to head past Margarson. Within 4 minutes Skegness were level when John Courtney blocked a defenders clearance and ran on to beat Terry. The next chance came on 30 minutes when Keiron Elliott left wing cross was fired over the bar by Crossley. Heckington took the lead again with 5 minutes of the first half remaining and once again the Skegness defence was left wanting. From a free kick Margarson and the defence failed to clear and Harry Kirwan slotted home the lose ball.
As with the first goal Skegness were soon on level terms with only a minute of the first half remaining Crossley slipped a ball through the Heckington back line for Arron Scutt to run onto and place pass Terry. Both teams went in level after a very entertaining first half
The second half started with no team having overall control and most of match was in midfield. However on 60 minutes Skegness scored a goal which would have graced a higher level. From a throw in on the right Courtney flicked the ball over the Heckington defence for Kurt Crossley run onto and beat Terry with a rising shot, Over the next 10 minutes Skegness made three changes with Courtney, Scutt and Callaby being replaced by Bartlett, Starkey and Drysdale. Heckington were still in the game and Margarson had to be alert to full off two close range saves. Skegness still pushed forward for the fourth goal, but Heckington were still in the game, however the Skegness defence stood firm. Then on the 90th minutes Skegness broke clear after a Heckington free kick had been cleared and Kurt Crossley outpaced the defence to beat Terry. There was only time to re-start the game and Skegness had obtained the first home league victory as a club
The game was a good advert for Lincs League football and Heckington played their part to the full. Skegness United were missing both central defenders in Joby Gowshall and Jordan Walden and leading scorer Paul Watts up front.